Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mid-Day at the Bookstore

I went to the bookstore in the middle of the day today, first time I've done that on my own since I've been 'between assignments.' Just a few observations.
   Funny odors. And I don't mean ha-ha funny either. There was a definite funk in the air, and it wasn't the smell of paperbacks.
    Lots of old dudes. I mean older than me old dudes, like retirement age. They crowded the coffee shop more than I've seen on a Friday night, all of them bent over their laptops, studiously ignoring one another. Kind of sad. And, no, I don't miss the irony of me making that observation, thank you very much. Shut up.
   Books mis-arranged. You kind of expect that in a bookstore, what with people picking things up and putting them down again. It happens. But it everywhere in the store I saw books placed haphazardly on the shelves, almost like someone rearranged them improperly on purpose. That offends my sense of order. And it points to the store being short-handed.
   I look like I work there. In the twenty minutes I was in the store I had three people come up and ask me for help finding book. I know I've been a little lax adhering to a professional dress code, but I didn't realize it had gotten quite so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment