Monday, May 18, 2009

First Impressions

If I've learned nothing else from work, I've learned that first impressions are never wrong. Things might happen to make you think your first impression was wrong, but eventually you get back to the truth of the matter. My first impressions of non-corporate work were markedly different from my corporate first impressions.

   Here are my post-college, pre-corporate first impressions, day one, after walking in the door.
Waiter
   first impression: 'I really need a job and I don't have a car, thank God they hired me.'
   second impression: 'Look at the ass on that waitress. Wonder if she has a boyfriend?'
Teacher
   first impression: 'I'm actually putting my college book-learning to good use, and these people certainly seem dedicated to making a difference in their students' lives.'
   second impression: 'Look at the ass on that teacher. Wonder if she has a boyfriend?'
Systems Implementer
   first impression: 'Wow, these guys are serious, I better raise my game and do a good job. This the US military I'm working for.'
   second impression: 'Look at the ass on that Sergeant. Wonder if she has a boyfriend?'

   Contrast those with my my first impressions, day one, of each of my three corporate gigs
Insurance company (the Hive)
   first impression: 'I think I made a mistake.' (I actually said these words to my mother when she called to ask how my first day went).
   second impression: 'I really think I made a mistake.'
Mortgage company A (the Fiefdom)
   first impression: 'Jeez, who does that asshole think he is?'
   second impression: 'Jeez, why does everybody seem to care what that asshole thinks?'
Mortgage company B (the Empire)
   first impression: 'This place smells like mold, and my half-cube faces a support pillar.'
   second impression: 'God help me, I think I'm getting comfortable with systemic corruption.'

No comments:

Post a Comment