Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Snubbed By Greenpeace

I went to the bank yesterday to deposit my unemployment check - surprisingly, I feel absolutely no shame and even a small amount of pride - and my path took me across Lake Avenue, right by one of the many Pasadena-area Starbuck's coffee palaces. This is a corner where many people with an agenda and a clipboard come; midway down Lake and by several major office buildings, it's high-traffic most of the business day. Besides, there's a Starbuck's right there, you don't want to stray too far from caffeine.
   This time the cause du jour was Greenpeace, and their advocate was a nervous-looking, thin man with a weak chin and receding hairline. Kind of Peace-Corp-y, if you know what I mean, but totally inoffensive and I'm sure he's a nice guy. 'Greenpeace' plastered across his shirt and across his clipboard. I spied him before I crossed the street, and since I am usually a magnet for these kinds of people, ask any of my friends, I resigned myself to having the conversation.
   The light changed and I crossed, not even bothering to pretend I had somewhere else to be - I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt at 10 AM, no faking that one - fully intending to entertain whatever petition this gentleman had or solicitation he would offer.
   He totally ignored me. Looked right past me as if I were not there.
   Slightly puzzled by this turn of events, normally I would have to spend several minutes politely excusing myself, I turned around at the bank door and looked back to see who he could possibly be talking to who was more interesting than I was. He was talking to a guy in jogging gear with a dog on a leash. Wouldn't talk to not-sweaty Don in shorts and a t-shirt, he was all over some dude who just wanted to get on with his run.
   When I went into the bank, I realized I was offended that he had not tried to shanghai me with his 'save the whales' rhetoric. I have no idea why this would upset me. Weirdos' fascination with talking to me has been a cross I've had to bear for years - again, ask my friends - but this one time they give me a break I can't get past the change in routine. Why wouldn't he talk to me? Is there something wrong with me? Did I forget to brush my teeth? Was I scowling? More than I usually do? What's wrong with me that the Greenpeace guy didn't try to stop me to convince me of the justness of his cause?
   I guess whatever Greenpeace supporters look like, I don't. Even though it's been a few months since I've gotten a haircut and I'm looking pretty granola right now. Maybe he figured I was already signed up. Yeah, that's got to be it.

UPDATE: It's not me, it's them. I just went to Trader Joe's for weekly groceries and there was a Greenpeace dude there too, not the same one at the bank yesterday. He also totally shined me on, eye contact then a quick look away. Whoever they're targeting, it's definitely not me.
   Whew! I thought for a minute there I'd lost my weirdo mojo.

No comments:

Post a Comment