Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Things That Worry Me Which Probably Shouldn't

Sometimes I find myself wondering if maybe my life could be the figment of someone else's imagination. It's hard to believe that everything I've done, everywhere I've been, everyone I've met could all be just... chance. So of course it must be that I'm a work of fiction. What other answer is there?
   You may recognize this idea from the movie Stranger Than Fiction, a Will Ferrell movie from a few years back. That film itself was a rip-off of a pulp sci-fi story written by none other than L. Ron Hubbard. Yes, that L. Ron Hubbard, the Scientology guy. Before he invented a religion he was a B-list writer for the pre-war pulps.
   I've been entertaining this idea for quite a while, though, long before I knew who Will Ferrell or L. Ron Hubbard were. Whenever I wrote a story I imagined the characters' lives so fully and completely it was as if they were alive to me, as if I weren't inventing it so much as just recording it. That led me to wonder what my characters were doing when I wasn't watching them. Which in turn led to me wonder if maybe someone else wasn't doing the same thing to me. Writing about me writing about my characters, and wondering if someone were writing about them too.
   Yeah, I'm gonna stop now, my head's hurting...

No comments:

Post a Comment