Thursday, March 4, 2010

Appease The Spirits

I've been thinking lately about animal intelligence, chimps, for instance, or whales, or dogs, and the implications that has for the existence of animal souls. Tribal religions included animal spirits, and religions like Shinto include nature spirits for mountains, trees, streams, and what have you. Animism like this is a very, very old tradition, prehistoric as a matter of fact. So I got to thinking some more, why would spirits be confined only to people, or animals, or big chunks of nature like mountains?
   What if our modern things have spirits?
   Like my TV. What if there's a Sony 42" LCD spirit in there that I need to appease? Or the oven? What if there's a fire spirit in there just getting angrier and angrier that I'm not performing the proper rituals to it? And I'm fairly certain there is a spirit in my refrigerator, given the noises it sometimes makes. But I pay a lot of attention to the refrigerator, so I think I'm pretty safe there. Maybe all that attention I'm giving the ice box is pissing off the spirit of the toaster.
   But what about cars? Or pencils? Or couches? Or buildings? Or compact florescent bulbs? God help us if there are garbage spirits all gathering together at our colossal landfills, we're in trouble.
   And what about food? If animists say trees have spirits, then shouldn't things that come from trees have spirits? Like apples? Then things made from apples, like apple pie or cider would have spirits too. And tacos would have spirits. Spicy, delicious spirits that give you gas later on in the day.
   I think I need to appease the spirit of my bed now and go to sleep. I hope the spirit of my pillows agrees with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment