Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Can You Spare A Fiver For A Liar?

I was down at the local Rite Aid this morning, getting razors and adult diapers, the razors because I'm out of them and need to keep clean-shaven and the diapers because I'm very lazy. Nah, just kidding about the diapers. As far as you know.
   Anyhoo... there are frequently homeless people panhandling by the front door, in large part because there's a Salvation Army Mission a block up and a block over. Today was no different, there was a guy outside, kind of grubby, asking for money for bus fare. Seeing as how I'm 'between assignments' - STILL - I didn't have anything to give him.
   I went in Rite Aid, did my business, paid, and left. Since I had a couple of quarters change I figured I'd help the guy out, bus fare is usually seventy-five cents, fifty cents for the Pasadena ARTS bus. Only the guy wasn't at the door.
   He was in the parking lot, poking his head into a relatively new jeep.
   No lie, the guy begging bus fare in front of the Rite Aid had driven there. So not only was he taking a prime spot from real homeless people, he was lying about what he needed the change for.
   As he approached a woman just getting out of her car he saw me and changed his pitch. He needed money for gas this time.
   I thought about getting together a homeless posse and bringing some frontier justice to this guy, but I let it go. He'll get his, sooner rather than later, it's a bitch when you're crushed under the great karmic wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment