Saturday, March 27, 2010

Governor Carl

I saw Jesse 'the Mind' Ventura on TV doing an interview the other day, talking about his new book about conspiracy theories - surprise, he believes in them. But he also talked about his wrestling career, his movie career, and his career as Governor of Minnestoa. The tobacco-chewing sexual Tyrannosaurus from 'Predator' actually held political office.
   Then I realized that the movie 'Predator' gave the United States not one but two Governors: Jesse Ventura and our own California Governator, Arnold Schwarzenegger. I'm not positive, but that could be the only movie in the history of cinema that has featured two future major office holders. Unless Regan was in a movie with Jimmy Carter or something, and I don't think that happened.
   But as I thought about Predator, I realized that Jesse wasn't even really a main character - not that he wasn't memorable - the other main character was Carl Weathers, the only other cast member with his name on the movie poster besides the Governator. Why should a mere co-star like Jesse Ventura get to hold high office and Mr. Weathers does not? It seems to me that Carl should get his shot at the political big-time too, it's only fair.
   So, since the initiative and referendum process in California is so completely broken and subverted, I say we get Carl Weathers on the ballot for this November. I looked it up and we only need about 700,00 signatures, which is completely do-able. We'll just tie it to some sort of medical marijuana thing and we'll totally nail the stoner vote.
   Maybe my next career is as a political activist. Yeah... that's the ticket...

UPDATE:
Good News!! Someone is already on the ball with this. I wrote this post two days ago, and as I was hunting for good links to pictures of Carl Weathers, I came across this site, which is plugging Carl for Mayor of New Orleans. He's not actually running - yet - but at least there seems to be a growing consensus. The fact that the election was held a few weeks ago is only a minor detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment