Monday, March 1, 2010

Am I Being Punk'd?

I know that I complain about my impending old-man-ness, what with my attendance at local city district meetings and my worry about water quality and Pasadena's revision of its General Plan. But I thought I was delicately treading the path, not charging towards cranky old man status like a little kid running for the ice cream truck. (They still have ice cream trucks, right?) I got a piece of news today that makes me realize I am now officially The Man.
   One of my friends is running for US Congress.
   Seriously, one of the guys I worked with at the OG, a guy I played basketball with, a guy whose bachelor party and subsequent wedding I attended - a couple of good stories there, trust me - has tossed his hat into the ring to become a Congressman. The primary is tomorrow, March 2nd.
   It's good for him, he's one of the few people who decide to try to make a difference instead of just complaining about things like some nimrod with a blog. But it's bad for me, because now I realize I should be part of the solution, rather than just pointing out the problems. And that's kind of a drag, honestly. It's much easier to be like Statler and Waldorf, sitting up in the balcony heckling than being like Fozzie, down on stage tap-dancing to save my life.
   I'll keep you posted on what happens. With my luck this will be just the first step and Chuck will be running for office come November.

No comments:

Post a Comment