Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Chicks With Tattoos

In the past week or so I've noticed a lot of chicks with tattoos. And I don't mean the kind of chicks you'd think would have tattoos - seeing a tramp stamp down by PCC is no challenge at all, believe me - I'm talking about women you wouldn't think could get away with the tattoos they sport.
   A teller at my bank has one of those wrist-tattoo thingys, it says 'Gabriel' with hearts, etc., like a little permanent chain around her wrist. Since I have to watch her hands as she deposits my unemployment check, I can't avoid seeing it. She's a perfectly proficient teller, but time was that tattoo would have meant she didn't get to talk to customers.
   A lady in business attire walking down Lake Avenue, with little bows tattooed on the backs of her calves, with lines like she was wearing nylons. At first I thought she was wearing nylons, enough of a novelty that I took a second look and discovered the horrible truth. I don't know any woman who would get inked like that, except maybe a stripper. But if she was a stripper, what was she doing out of bed at 10 AM? And if she was a former stripper, don't you think she'd get it removed or at least wear pants?
   A woman working in my local Trader Joe's has full sleeve* tattoos on both arms up to her wrist. Every time I've seen her she's been wearing a long-sleeved shirt, but since she's working the fabric rides up and you can see the vibrant color she undoubtedly paid a lot for. Body art like that doesn't really inspire confidence in the person stocking your produce section, and I wonder what she's going to think of that cool ink in five or ten years when she wants to attend her kid's PTA meeting. Say what you will about fairness, heavily-inked people are seen as sinister and untrustworthy. And with serious flaws in their judgment.
   A trainer at my gym has a tattoo up her right side, something I've never seen before. I don't know how far down it goes, but as she was demonstrating a stretch to one of her clients the ink peeked out above her waist. And it wasn't on her left side, which I can't figure out, but then again I don't want to.
   Is it just me? Is it just here in SoCal? Or are there waaaaay to many presumably professional women sporting inappropriate body art? And, yes, I know I sound like a cranky old man. I'm just going with it now.

* sleeve is a funny word. Say it over and over and over, and then look at it spelled out. HA! Too funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment