Sunday, July 26, 2009

And On The Eighth Day God Created NASCAR

I remember the day I stopped watching football on TV. I was sixteen years old (really) and I had just spent most of Sunday indoors watching two complete games back-to-back. By the time the second game was over the sun had gone down and I remember thinking to myself 'I just spent the whole day in front of the television and I have nothing to show for it.' From that day to this I haven't watched an entire football game on TV, not even the SuperBowl. Especially not the SuperBowl.
   And yet I now find myself an eager NASCAR fan.
   Yep, the guy who didn't want to waste hours watching football now wastes hours watching really fast cars making left-hand turns and stopping every once in a while for gas. I have my favorite driver (go Carl Edwards), I know the difference between the Sprint Cup races and the Nationwide Races, I know who's better on a short track and who can win on a fast track. I even have a least favorite driver. Yeah, I'm a NASCAR fan, even though it's been a while since I ran moonshine and I'm big-city folk.
   I'm not sure how it happened, but I blame HD TV. I'll watch paint dry in HD, but when you toss in some top-notch racing and the occasional wreck or two... well, I'm not made of stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment