Monday, July 20, 2009

Happy Birthday, Moon... uh, Mom

Today is a great day. It's the 40th anniversary of the day the United States landed two men on the Moon. It also happens to be my mother's birthday. I'd like to say that I remember the moon landing because of my mother's birthday, but it's actually the other way around. I remember that July 20th is when we landed on the Moon, and only then that it's also my mother's birthday. I've explained this to her, and like all Great Moms she understands.
   I do remember watching the moon landing. I was two years old, and my parents woke me up from a nice nap to come out to the living room to see the great event. I was tired and cranky, and I didn't understand when they told me what was on TV was very important, and that I would remember it forever. I just wanted to go back to sleep. But when I saw the grainy black and white images of men in bulky suits walking on the moon, I was hooked. I got it, I understood, even at two years old. That's how big a deal the moon landing was, and how big a deal it still is.
   You were right, Mom, I do still remember it. Happy Birthday.

1 comment:

  1. Now you know that Mom's are always right! ----and you doubted me all these years!

    ReplyDelete