Monday, July 6, 2009

Earthquake Munchies

Like many residents of Southern California, I have an earthquake kit. It's similar to a tornado kit if you live in North Texas, or a hurricane kit if you live in Florida, or C.H.U.D. kit if you live in New York City. It's just a backpack with a lot of emergency supplies in it. I check mine once every six months or so (sometimes longer, I admit), to make sure nothing's ruptured or broken, and that remember what all I have. The coolest thing has to be a hand-crank flashlight. Sweet.
   There's toilet paper, and emergency water, and a first aid kit, and a survival whistle with a compass that doesn't quite point North all the time. There's rope and road flares and ponchos and light sticks and some 'emergency tool' that looks positively Medieval.
   There are also blocks of emergency food. These are survival food bars, intended for lifeboats and liferafts. They come six to a pack and it's recommended that an adult eat two bars a day. But I want to know if they're any good. I mean, if all I'm going to have while I wait for FEMA to come to my rescue are these bars that offer 'maximum survival capability' I need to know if I'm going to be eating carboard. Just because I'm in life-or-death circumstances doesn't mean I need to skimp on flavor.
   So I'm thinking about cracking one open for a taste.
   The only problem is, they might actually be good. In which case I would keep going back to the emergency backpack for 'one more bite.' You know, like when you have an open bag of chocolate chips in the pantry and you have to make sure they're still acceptable to bake with? So you go back once in a while for a nibble and eventually you have a bag in the pantry with no chocolate chips left. That's what I'm afraid of.

Freaky update:
I just found out the company that makes the food bars has its West Coast plant about a mile and a half from my house. I may go by today and see if they have any samples, like they do at Costco.

No comments:

Post a Comment