Monday, July 27, 2009

Texas vs. California - Restaurants

The examples below are real. Only the names have been changed to protect the clueless.

Texas Restaurant
Hi, are ya'll ready to order?
   I'll have the brisket plate.
Cole slaw or potato salad?
   Cole slaw.
Anything to drink?
   Iced tea.
Thanks, that'll be right out.

California Restaurant
Bonus day, ain't it bro? Can I tell you our specials? We have a great ahi tuna salad.
   Actually, I think I'm in the mood for salmon.
Oh... bad news... we don't have salmon on the menu.
   I know, but I wonder if you have any in the back?
I'm pretty sure we don't.
   Could you make actually sure? I'm in a salmon mood.
   ~~ time passes ~~
I asked my manager and we've never had salmon, like, ever.
   Oh, I was just holding out hope. How is your salad prepared?
Tossed.
   Could I get a... hmm... so tough to choose... grilled chicken salad?
Excellent choice.
   I'd like to have the chicken with no grill marks, though. Is that possible?
So, grilled chicken with no grill marks... you're trying to blow my mind, right?
   Would your manager know?
   ~~ time passes ~~
Okay, we can do that, he's pretty sure. Workin' some of his manager voodoo. The salad comes with grilled vegetables, is it okay if those have grill marks?
   That's fine. But are they marinated?
It's a totally righteous marinade, man.
   Could I get that on the side? I prefer to marinate myself.
Sure, okay.
   And could I have the dressing on the side? And an extra little ramekin of barbeque sauce. I don't want a bowl, that's too much, a ramekin is just perfect. When the salad comes I'm going to need some fresh black pepper, some slices of limes - NOT lemons, limes, if you don't have them I don't want anything else - and a few tiny shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano. Some balsamic vinegar, too. Oh, and artichoke hearts, I'm sure you have those in the back.
(writing furiously) Okay... got it. Anything else?
   No, that's it. I don't want to be any trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment