Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Careers in Pipe Fitting?

I've been thinking about a new direction for my career. I'm pretty tired of working for corporations - the arrangement seems entirely one-sided to me, all to the benefit of the company and the top execs and none to the worker - and until I sell a book or two I can't work for myself. What could I do? I'm home in the middle of the day, so I see a those mid-day commercials, aimed at the unemployed, telling me to get off the couch and make something of myself.
   There's a cooking school a block away from my house - literally - and if I had never worked in a restaurant I might consider that. But I have worked in a restaurant, for four long years, and I know I don't ever want to do that again. So cooking school's out.
   I could try my hand at being an auto mechanic, but during my poorer years I had to work on my cars. While there is a certain sense of accomplishment you get by doing your own repairs, being forced to turn a wrench just to get to work sucks so bad that if you haven't had to do it I can't explain it. Making car repair my job would suck even worse. So auto repair's out.
   The 2010 census is coming up and the Census Bureau needs workers to go ask probing questions of people who would rather not answer them. That's not so much a career as a job, though. And if I wanted a job I could just go to Home Depot and stand on the corner with the rest of the day laborers.
   If I get desperate enough I could try being a gigolo. Who am I kidding? I'd probably starve to death.
   I don't know. I'm open to suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment