Friday, April 24, 2009

Rachel Ray - please explain

It's impossible to avoid daytime TV, even if I keep busy writing or doing chores, the TV is still there begging to be watched. So today I'm watching Rachel Ray - or 'Rache' as she calls herself.
   I don't get it.
   I know that with the imperial imprimatur of Oprah behind her, Rache really cannot fail. Like when the lie 'A Million Little Pieces' became a NYT Bestseller because it was part of Oprah's book club, when Oprah says it's good, the thing is good, no questions asked. But I'm just not sure what the deal is with Rache. She's not a chef - she'll be the first to tell you that - she's not a trained actor or host, she's not a particularly good interviewer, and yet she gets paid to cook, host, and interview, and people love her for it. Maybe it's precisely her lack of expertise in any of those areas that makes people like her; if she can do it, for sure anybody else could.
   I can't decide if she's annoying in an endearing way, or endearing in an annoying way, but annoying is clearly half the equation. And she's got this thing she does when she licks her lips, reminds me of dairy cattle I've seen doing the same thing.

1 comment:

  1. Arg! I can only watch Rache on the Food Network. Even then I cringe at "EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil". We all know what is by now. Either say the acronym or say the full name but by all means don't say BOTH in the same breath!

    ReplyDelete