Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ewww.... New Word

The other day I bought a beard trimmer, because I was tired of clipping stray beard hairs with tiny scissors. So I was reading the operating instructions - because I'm a nerd and I read the manual for every appliance I buy - when I came across a new word that made me cringe.
   Past the 'Warning' and beyond the 'Special Features' part, just after the 'Trimming Your Mustache' part and printed in black and white like all the rest was the new word.
   Bodyscaping
   I quote: 'Your trimmer makes for the perfect tool to groom areas below the neck. Using the same technique, as mentioned prior, you can groom wherever you feel the need.'
   Ewwwww.....
   Just for the record, I don't feel the need. I had a roommate in college who shaved his legs for cycling, and even though he had a legit reason, it was still awkward and embarrassing to see him scraping his legs in the bathroom. No way I'm going to 'bodyscape' anything, thank you very much.
   BTW - the other side of the instructions are in Spanish. There isn't a single word for 'bodyscaping' in Spanish, the title is 'Aseo De Cuerpo Entero' or, roughly, 'Personal Cleanliness for the Entire Body' which, incredibly, sounds even worse than 'Bodyscaping.'
   I'm all for neologisms, language evolves as society does, but I can do without this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment