Wednesday, April 29, 2009

From My Bookshelf

This week it's a work that's kind of difficult to label. It's been called investigative journalism, but it's not in a traditional sense because the journalist is the subject. It's been called autobiography, but it's not really that either, because the story is constructed for the book. Read it and decide for yourself.
   Self-Made Man by Norah Vincent
   Ms. Vincent spent a year and a half disguised as a man. Not only did she dress as a man and behave as a man, she took several jobs as a man, maintained friendships as a man, and even spent eight months on a bowling team as a man. The experience enlightened her to the realities of being male in modern society, and it also kind of drove her crazy. She committed herself to a mental institution so she could sort out who she really was. Let that be a lesson to you ladies, it's hard out there for a man.
Quote: "In order to see how people would treat me as a man, I had to make them believe that I was a man, and accordingly I had to hide from them the fact that I am a woman. Doing so entailed various breaches of trust, some more serious than others. This may not sit well with some or perhaps most of you. In certain ways it did not sit well with me either, and was, as you will see, a source of considerable strain as time wore on."

No comments:

Post a Comment