Saturday, April 11, 2009

Where’s Scooby?

What happened to Saturday morning cartoons? Time was, not so long ago, there were good shows on Saturday mornings, even as late as last year, back when there was still a thing as Kid’s WB. Now all I see is terrible, terrible anime garbage that is really a 22-minute commercial for some stupid collectible card game.
    So I did some investigating and I found something disturbing. Not that I’m Sherlock Holmes or anything, I just poked around on the Internet.
    None of the networks do their own Saturday morning programming any longer, they contract it out to someone else. Just like lazy American corporations send jobs offshore, lazy, unimaginative American broadcasters get someone else to do their Saturday morning programming.

Here's the lineup:
ABC    ABC Kids, which is just a rehash of the same Disney channel pap that insults kids on basic cable
CBS     Kewl-opolis, a travesty which was sub-contracted to DIC, but now DIC is part of Cookie Jar. When you lose track of things for all the acquisitions and buy-outs you know you're in the realm of weasel corporate monkey-spank.
NBC     programming provided by qubo, a truly frightening conglomerate of corporate amoebae
CW     CW 4Kids, provided - surprise - by 4Kids Entertainment
Fox    used to have 4Kids stuff, they’re not even trying any more, their Saturday morning is sports and infomercials.

    Time was I would have said I was outraged by this. However, in this day and age, this kind of cynical corporate bottom-lining doesn’t surprise me in the least, and since I’m not surprised I can’t really be outraged.
    The real shame here is that the same Baby Boomers who made my Saturday morning experience an amazing adventure have now turned their talents to evil and are ruining the first morning of the weekend for their own grandkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment