Wednesday, April 15, 2009

From My Bookshelf

In my effort to conserve my money, I'm re-reading books I already own. Last week was funny, this week it's edu-taining.
   Warped Passages by Lisa Randall. Dr. Randall (she didn't spend years in evil graduate school to be called Ms.) is not only a brilliant theoretician, she's also kind of a hot tamale. Usually saying a woman is the hottest chick in the physics department is like saying your Dungeon Master is the slimmest one at Gen-Con, a backhanded compliment at best, but she's really quite a looker. And smart too. I have fantasies about her lecturing me on the Standard Model, and I get the answers wrong on purpose so she can punish me. With math. Have I said too much?
   Just read the book.
Quote: The anarchic principle and the many undesirable interactions that quantum mechanics will induce tell us that some new concepts must enter into any model of physics that underlies the Standard Model if this model is to have a chance of being correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment