Tuesday, April 14, 2009

How Sad Is This?

I've been 'between assignments' for a week now, and I already have a new friend. I look forward to his visits every day, anticipating them as if he's someone I've known my entire life.
   He's a hummingbird.
Every afternoon the hummingbird comes to my porch, hovering around the tree outside, perching for a little while then launching himself back into the air to flit around again. I actually wait for him (or her, I don't know how to sex a hummingbird, nor do I care to learn) to come by, and I stop whatever I'm doing to watch for a little while.
   I feel like a wizened spinster, putting cans of tuna out for the neighborhood cats, just so I can say I had a visitor that day.
   Yeah, I gotta get busy.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, a little sad that you have too much time on your hands. But, if you have to have a new friend from the animal kingdom, hummingbirds are so cool! It's like they have a tiny outboard motor on their butts. If you get close enough you can actually hear a motoring sound as they flit away. Get a bunch visiting our yard. You should plant a hibiscus flower in a pot to attract them - they love the bright colored blooms. Before you know it you may have several new "friends" and you can proceed to have a party. Ha,ha. Glad you're not so bored that you do want to learn how to sex them.

    ReplyDelete