Monday, April 20, 2009

Songs I Used to Like

I was in the truck yesterday and 'Freeze Frame' came on. I listened to about fifteen seconds of that J. Geils Band classic, realized I was about to vomit in my mouth, and switched stations. That station was playing 'Sweet Emotion' by Aerosmith. I listened to about fifteen seconds of that song and thought I was going to have to pull over to be sick. So turned the radio off.
   Strange thing was, I used to love both those songs. I would stop whatever I was doing to take a listen, but now I can't stand either one. So I got to thinking about other songs I used to make time for that would make me want to punch my grandmother if I heard them now.
   Freeze Frame - J. Geils Band, like when a high school jazz band tries too hard
   Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith, kind of like when you realize you never really liked your girlfriend's cooking
   Just A Girl - No Doubt, too pouty and obvious
   Zombie - Cranberries, too screamy
   Black Velvet - Alanna Myles, been a long while since I've been in a strip club I guess I lost the groove
   Slow Ride - Foghat, yeah I used to like Foghat, so what?
   Any song by Boston, once a college staple, now just too Dazed and Confused for my tastes
   Children of the Sun - Billy Thorpe, what can I say? I was young
   The Look of Love - ABC, it was the 80's everyone was doing it
   Are You Gonna Be My Girl - JET, a little too Aerosmith-y for me now

2 comments:

  1. I have the same attitude about past favorite songs too. While I disagree with your "Just A Girl" comments (maybe because I AM just a girl), I HAVE to turn the channel when "Don't Speak" comes on...great lyrics but SO overplayed. Blech! Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" is another one where I just can't listen to it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you still listen to the Carpenters. Who can't like the haunting melody of We Only Just Begun.

    ReplyDelete