Sunday, June 29, 2014

140Story - Day 32

  I'm writing a story 140 words at a time and posting the results here daily.  Can I sustain interest?  Will I lose the narrative thread?  Find out in this next installment of Bullets Ain't Cheap

one had followed me.  As I opened the door I got a tingle, right up my spine.  I should have paid attention.  I shouldn’t have gotten in.
    As I started the car I felt the cold kiss of gun metal at the base of my skull.
    “Why are you working with them?”
    I’d fallen asleep to that voice and I’d woken up to it.  It was as familiar to me as my own, but much more welcome in my ear.
    Kelly.
    “I’m taking their money,” I said carefully.  He hadn’t moved the pistol away.  “It’s not the same as working with them.”
    For what seemed like forever he waited, the gun still pressed to the back of my head.  Finally, mercifully, he let the pistol drop.
    “I’ll buy that.  For now.”
    Only then did I dare look in the rear-view.

No comments:

Post a Comment