Friday, June 6, 2014

140Story - Day 9

 I'm writing a story 140 words at a time and posting the results here daily.  Can I sustain interest?  Will I lose the narrative thread?  Find out in this next installment of Bullets Ain't Cheap

couldn’t close my mouth.  He was here?  In the city?
    “Yeah, we were surprised too,” Burton admitted.  “We’d been hearing rumors but nothing solid.  Then we got a semi-reliable tip and sent a scout.  Decent kid, fresh out of training.  Never heard from him again.”
    I nodded, slowly regaining my composure.  That was how Kelly worked.  If he didn’t want to be found, you weren’t going find him.  I could make him want to be found, though.
    “So instead of risking another asset, you thought you’d get me to flush him out?”
    Burton shrugged.  “You and Kelly go back.  That’s something he respects.”
    ‘Go back.’  That was a very corporate way of describing our relationship.  Kelly had been... everything to me.  Once upon a time.
    “When I find him,” I refused to say ‘if’, “then what?”
    Burton tapped the 

No comments:

Post a Comment